<span class="highlight">Internet</span> Options

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 05, 2011 at 17:45
ThreadID: 89920 Views:3140 Replies:12 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
I think I have exhaused all my possible options. We're using Telstra's Wireless Broadband network, and at the moment are on their $90 plan for 15gb. Problem is (well, other than the terrible reception) that we go over this usage each month. Way over. Between trying to run a few websites and downloading stuff for the kids schooling, it just isn't enough for us.

I blogged about it recently and someone left a comment about some satellite internet option ... but I'm really apprehensive about satellite internet for the caravan. Does anyone have any experience? When I'd looked at School of the Air for the kids, it wasn't really an option because the sat dish is 3m in diameter - a bit hard to tow around the country. Telstra's set up is ludicrously expensive. The other company I saw seemed to be a lot cheaper ... but is that at a pay-off for internet speed/quality? I don't understand how they can offer a small, mobile dish when the school of the air says it has to be 3m to be of a sufficient quality?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bill BD - Saturday, Nov 05, 2011 at 18:32

Saturday, Nov 05, 2011 at 18:32
I can't comment on satellite. We are also on Telstra mobile slowband.

With the large dish size for remote schooling - they will have minimum speeds to accomodate their modes of delivery. They probably require enough "bandwidth" (is that the right term) to carry video conferencing, run certain programs remotely, etc, so they set a high minimum speed to avoid ongoing problems. You might not need that much speed to do what you want.

I have heard (but haven't experienced) that satellite can be slower than telstra..... although at times I am not sure that it is actually possible.... what's slower than slow?
AnswerID: 469278

Follow Up By: Livin On The Road - Saturday, Nov 05, 2011 at 18:46

Saturday, Nov 05, 2011 at 18:46
Something could possibly be slower? Wow, that is bad. We don't really need "fast" (though it's nice) it's more that we need about 20gb rather than 15gb, but really can't justify spending another $50 on it.
FollowupID: 743688

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Saturday, Nov 05, 2011 at 18:38

Saturday, Nov 05, 2011 at 18:38
IMO the setup you have is the best available. Are you hosting the websites locally? If so, why don't you set them up with a hosting company? Thousands of those around and it doesn't matter where it is. That way the only traffic to the web site (on your account) is you doing the admin.

Satelite internet sucks as it's hellishly expensive for a 2 way setup. Most use satelite for the down link only and rely on dialup for uplink...
AnswerID: 469279

Follow Up By: Livin On The Road - Saturday, Nov 05, 2011 at 19:00

Saturday, Nov 05, 2011 at 19:00
Ah, that explains a lot about the satellite option then. It's too expensive for the initial set-up for us anyway, I just was really really hoping that someone new of a better, more affordable option as I can't find anything better...and telstra mobile broadband isn't good.

We use a webhosting company for the websites. It's just the uploads of the photos etc that keep adding up.
FollowupID: 743690

Follow Up By: Member - a convict - Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 12:28

Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 12:28
"It's just the uploads of the photos etc that keep adding up. "

Sure does, get a copy of Photoshop (any version), load your image,
select 'File' menu, select "Save for Web or Devices....', give your file a name, that's it.

Mulit i -Megabyte sized files will save to less than 50Kb size. Quality and the image 'pixel
size' are totally controllable.

FollowupID: 743731

Follow Up By: Livin On The Road - Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 13:36

Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 13:36
We already do that for the websites (otherwise it slows the site down too).
FollowupID: 743734

Follow Up By: Member - a convict - Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 13:53

Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 13:53
..U have some great images on your website, if it's not a rude question,
what camera are u using?

Best rgds
FollowupID: 743739

Follow Up By: Livin On The Road - Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 13:59

Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 13:59
Not a rude question at all (I don't think). Glad you like the images - we've actually started uploading them to photo-sales websites (hence the main issue with internet data, because they want them whole, rather than optimised for web like we use on livinontheroad and wandering-photographer.com).

We were using a Canon 450D, but recently purchased a Canon 7D. He's got a few different lenses that he uses.

Just a few of them have been taken by the kids. The kids have an Olympus U-Tough (great for the underwater photos like the swimming with the tuna and the sea lions, but not as great above water. Fantastic for kids being shockproof - almost impossible for them to break).
FollowupID: 743742

Follow Up By: Member - a convict - Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 14:17

Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 14:17
"....to photo-sales websites (hence the main issue with internet data, because they want them whole...."

Yeah, it's a killer isn't it, ..now I understand, ..'Newspapers' the same.
Nice shots, IMHO !

best rgds

Worth a look, database below has 102 million 'free' Wi-Fi spots, don't forget Golden Arches they are usually good for 5 meg or so (for each coffee).

" http://www.wefi.com/maps "
FollowupID: 743744

Follow Up By: Livin On The Road - Monday, Nov 07, 2011 at 14:10

Monday, Nov 07, 2011 at 14:10
Thanks, love that database. Will definitely use it when we are in large areas.

Maccas are pretty good - but I don't let the kids eat Maccas so it comes at the cost of a LOT of whinging. Good coffee and playgrounds though with the internet. :)

Newspapers are definitely the same. Wish I could get an Age subscription for the kindle :)
FollowupID: 743801

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Nov 07, 2011 at 17:03

Monday, Nov 07, 2011 at 17:03
"It's just the uploads of the photos etc that keep adding up. "

Why upload ALL the photos? And why upload megabyte sized files.

Store them locally. Only upload a "smaller" version. We use Picassa and store all the "original" photos on a stand alone Terrabite USB drive. We only upload small file sizes to the internet sites such a photobucket.com. Not all.

When emailing photos we only send the same smaller sized files. Picassa produces an excellent 50Kbyte photo that is perfect to email and upload etc.

Phil
FollowupID: 743814

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh - Saturday, Nov 05, 2011 at 19:42

Saturday, Nov 05, 2011 at 19:42
Hi Livin On The Road,
We have just recently spent a month on the road.
Here is a Google Map of our road trip.
We used Virgin Mobile Broadband, which uses the Optus Backbone.
We couldn't get connection at the following places. Silverton, Leigh Creek, Wilmington, Don't know about Manilla because our monthly usage had ran out, which don't bother us because we were only a day away from home. Here is what we were able to upload in this month on the road. Our Road Trip When we got home I was able to tweak it a bit.

Here is their Coverage Map, I had access to the net in most bigger towns we went to.
I was able to upload to our site with good speed and not to many dramas.
We choose a $30.00 for 2GB a month plan with BYO modem.
This served us well, when we couldn't get reception, I loaded all the pictures and made text documents of the the stories and set it all out ready to upload when we able to.
You don't mention how remote or how far from major towns you'll be while wanting to use the internet, if you will be a big distance from bigger centers than maybe this isn't for you.
Anyway, hope you find a good plan and good speed.
Happy & safe travels.

AnswerID: 469285

Follow Up By: Livin On The Road - Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 13:40

Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 13:40
We usually stay "out bush" and away from major centers, and it's about to get worse because we're heading westward. If it is a flexible plan it could be an option sometimes to fill the gap on prepaid.

FollowupID: 743735

Reply By: Pebble - Saturday, Nov 05, 2011 at 19:51

Saturday, Nov 05, 2011 at 19:51
We have Satellite broadband and only because we live rural, dialup here is half the speed it should be so it's too painful and we don't have access to ADSL. NextG reception is only just good enough for phone calls and mostly outside!

If I could go onto Telstra Next G rather than Satellite I probably would. Here are the plans from my provider to show you how pathetic the value for money is...and something they love doing when it comes to Sat is giving you bugger all quota for the peak period when most people actually use the internet and half if not majority of the quota is off peak. Don't forget uploads are generally counted as well.

This is under the Aus Broadband Guarantee
Skymesh ABG Plans

NBN, not sure if it's applicable yet and to whom
Skymesh NBN plans
AnswerID: 469286

Follow Up By: Livin On The Road - Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 13:42

Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 13:42
I had a chat to NBN, but you need a permanent address to be eligible. In other words, it is that national broadband guarantee for all but travellers.
FollowupID: 743736

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Nov 05, 2011 at 20:58

Saturday, Nov 05, 2011 at 20:58
Hi Livin on the Road

Is that the best price Telstra/Bigpond can offer you for a larger usage plan? Hardly large usage at 15 gb/month anyway. Unfortunately Telstra Next G is the only option that gives any sort of coverage, the lack of which you know, without going to satellite.

The link i have on my communications page for satellite internet is the one recommended by friends. They needed daily internet for business purposes, but not nearly the amount of download/upload that you are needing, hence they are on a small plan. It seems setting up the satellite dish each stop is no problem for them.

No doubt you've been looking at all options to reduce usage, such as preparing everything off line then uploading, and being selective in which websites the children access to avoid the heavy download ones.

Good luck finding a solution.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 469294

Follow Up By: Livin On The Road - Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 13:48

Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 13:48
Yeah, that's the best Telstra can offer us. Not great.

The children don't actually do any "surfing" as I'm too wary of the safety for such young kids on the internet. The 10 yo and 9yo have their own blog each that they write, but a lot of it is the downloading their audiobooks and sites for schoolwork. But year, we prepare everything off line before we upload it.

I'd actually already had a look at that link on your website, I love the resource sections that you've put together.
FollowupID: 743737

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Saturday, Nov 05, 2011 at 23:50

Saturday, Nov 05, 2011 at 23:50
interesting comments, you seem to want city speeds at remote locations and put simply you wont get them unless you pay for them, why do you think people live in citys :-) .... i have a small ovel shaped dish, two way broadband and costs me $ 59 a month from memory, about 5 feet accross and transmits and receives .......... it is slow, but i can set it up anyware in Australia and log on to my e-mails and internet ... yep slow speed but that is remote living .....
I often find people fall into a trap where they compare there home speeds with what is available out in the bush but seem to forget one thing, they left "home" to get away from the fast paced life style and slow things down a bit but get upset when they cant get fast internet speeds .... dudes, that is why you left, kids in the outback never had fast internet on school of the air so we need to remember that eh....
On the 3m dish thing, dont get to freaked out about the size, when i did a set up for a remote road crew i made up a fold up frame, i also attached spirit levels to the legs and a compass to it so it was simple to set up, you simply had a formula to enter your location with the gps and it gave you the degrees for the compass and it was very simple to set up, you adjusted it by the signal level ........ and it all folded up flat for travel ...
Cheers guys and good luck with it ...... throw money at anything and it works :-)
Joe
AnswerID: 469301

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 08:13

Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 08:13
Totally agree Joe n Mel. I have worked in remote areas for close on 20 years and I am fed up with the way many people approach living/travelling in outback areas. WE want cheaper fuel, we want electricity that never fails and costs the same as in capital cities. We high speed broadband at cheap rates. We want fresh water out of every tap we see. When are some people gunna learn that they are no longer in the city were many products are subsidised, readily available and priced for quick sales? The cost of supplying services in remote areas is so expensive most people would be shocked if they knew the actual price.
Spend the extra money on upgrading your plan. What extra money? The money you save in kids uniforms, transport to and from school, the money saved from going to parent/teacher nights, the money spent at tuckshops. Pay the extra, be happy and know that its your kids that benefit.
I have installed many broardband and phone services in my travels. Plenty of whingers out there who dont like paying for the service. I simply tell em that the best way to solve all your problems is move to an area with an 02 or an 03 at the start of their phone number
FollowupID: 743712

Follow Up By: Member - Krakka - Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 10:29

Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 10:29
Bigfish, I'd like to know what products are subsidised in the city and not in the country. Can't think of any being a city person, please enlighten me.
FollowupID: 743718

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 12:56

Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 12:56
Yeah...Just after I posted it up I realised that subsidised was the wrong word. I meant discounted...Food, hardware,vehicles...most things are way cheaper in the city. I pay about $2.00 a litre for petrol and diesel. Have done for many years. seen cherries advertised for $33.00 a punnett. Small can of coke $3.50 Small generator in Darwin $150.00. the same here $850...When in the bush you have to be creative, resourcful and dollar wise. Whinging gets you nowhere.
Broardband is like anything else. You get what you pay for. Every radio tower you pass in the rural areas costs hundreds of thousands to set up, maintain and work for you. Our outback coverage is a world leader in terms of remoteness covered.
FollowupID: 743732

Follow Up By: Pebble - Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 17:27

Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 17:27
Yeah but being "country' doesn't always mean hours from anywhere. Sometimes it's reasonable to expect more in the way of internet and phone coverage.
If you hear whingeing it's only because internet and email and everything that never used to be is actually a large part of life no matter where you live these days.
I dare say not many people use encyclopedias these days, you just google whatever you want to know etc. Kids need decent internet to do school related stuff like "matheletics" etc. Choosing to live in the country doesn't always mean we choose to live here to be out of touch with current technology. And at times I would have been happy to sell up and move the 13km into town just to have better access to "normal" technology. I agree though you tend to have to sacrifice certain things for the lifestyle, but there's got to be a balance.
Satellite broadband is better than no broadband that's for sure!
FollowupID: 743761

Follow Up By: Member - Krakka - Monday, Nov 07, 2011 at 16:28

Monday, Nov 07, 2011 at 16:28
Bigfish, thats cool. Discounted is more the word as you said. Don't worry, we have thought of moving to the country for the lifestyle, but employment would be our bug bear, trying to get some that is. Think I could manage the slower pace, but yer right, prices of most thing are generally dearer.
FollowupID: 743812

Reply By: Member - Joel and Michelle (WA - Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 12:40

Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 12:40
G'day
Been on the road 17 months now and originally purchased the australian Nomad Technologiessatellite setup ($2500). After three months on the road we discovered Mobile broadband and purchased the modem router from Bigpond. Apart from the issues mentioned and a little overheating problem, we have been quite happy with it as it is faster and a lot easier to use than the sat system. We have 2 children 10 and 13 who we home school and use the internet for about half of this.
If you are in a place without mobile service for long enough, then the sat system may be for you, but the plans are expensive. Once set up ( about 30 or 40 mins depending how much yelling is done),the system is fast enough for 4 of us to surf at the same time. We have a standard sized tv sat dish and the internet sat dish is only 100mm wider.
Check the website
If I haven't put you off, we finish our trip in 6 weeks and will be selling for half price. Will have it listed in the for sale on this site soon.
Cheers
Joel
AnswerID: 469327

Follow Up By: Livin On The Road - Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 13:54

Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 13:54
Hi Joel,
I think most of the comments here have pretty much put us off sat internet ... but we are apprehensive about how much worse access will be going west because it's been pretty bad in SA. We'll have to play it by ear I think.

Cheers,
Amy
FollowupID: 743740

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Monday, Nov 07, 2011 at 15:31

Monday, Nov 07, 2011 at 15:31
Turn it off untill you get past Norsman...... Then you may have a chance. Like the rest of Australia if there is population to warrent a tower there will be one.

Craig
FollowupID: 743810

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Sunday, Nov 13, 2011 at 16:02

Sunday, Nov 13, 2011 at 16:02
Amy, plan to spend a night at Nullarbor Road House. The Telstra tower is just outside the fence of the caravan park.
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 744368

Reply By: Member - Peter E1 (VIC) - Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 17:24

Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 17:24
15 gb not enough? What are you downloading? My plan at 4gb enough for most uses. Email and surfing for most things shouldn't use up that much. Are you sure some movies aren't being downloaded as well as the normal things. Even Skype with video, which is bandwidth hungry, shouldn't be that hungry.
Have a look at your setup and see if you can disable some features that use a lot of bandwidth.
Just a thought, but have fun traveling. That's the main thing.
AnswerID: 469348

Reply By: TrevorMR (WA) - Monday, Nov 07, 2011 at 20:56

Monday, Nov 07, 2011 at 20:56
I live rural in the SW of WA. Had Optus satellite originally but it was slow and expensive. Changed to NextG wireless a year back - it is much faster, less expensive and have had no reliability problems. Had to put an antenna on the roof which plugs into the Bigpond Elite USB modem.

4GB is more than enough for me which is just under $40pm.
AnswerID: 469423

Reply By: David from Travelodi - Sunday, Nov 13, 2011 at 00:08

Sunday, Nov 13, 2011 at 00:08
I've worked for Telstra and also on the old NBN project and I will guarantee you Telstra NextG is a better option than Satellite and anything else available.

Not sure that your issue is uploading photos. For a photo on a web page to take up the whole page should be a bit less than 1MB. So you should in theory be able to upload 1500 photos per month within the allowance.

Not sure how School of the Air runs but if they use video - there's your issue.
AnswerID: 469876

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Nov 13, 2011 at 04:02

Sunday, Nov 13, 2011 at 04:02
Id be having a closer lool at what the kids are doing on the computer

15gb is a heck of alot and then some
AnswerID: 469882

Reply By: Cravenhaven - Sunday, Nov 13, 2011 at 15:19

Sunday, Nov 13, 2011 at 15:19
Why not get 2 modems at a slightly lower download rate. eg: we use the Telstra bigpond service with their Ultra dongle and a 7GB plan for $60/mth, if I had 2 I could have 14GB for $120.
We stayed at a remote WA cattle station for a couple of months and they had a 1GB satellite plan and were told they could not get anything else from Telstra (wrong I'm sure). The satellite was much slower than anything we've ever had with our 3G dongle.

If you're travelling around OZ, just forget anything but Telstra. Our mobile phones are with Optus and Vodafone and there have been many times when we've had no phone coverage but still got internet thanks to NextG (and there's always Skype).
cravenhaven

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 469926

Sponsored Links